For the site to process notifications of updates the email queue needs to be emptied out. This is usually done by setting up cron jobs. An alternative to cron jobs is poormanscron, a module that emulates cron using a Java script.
Additionally, make sure to tick the box: "notofy poster of own posts' and disabel debugging in the notofications settings:
(1) Install module Poormanscron
(2) Go to /admin/messaging/notifications
- Tick 'Notify user of won postings' i
- Untick 'Enable debugging'
- Set everything to 'immediately'
- (optional) 'Logging' set to 16 weeks